Now this is a recipe that’s practically memorized in our house and is a major favorite of Mr. du jour’s. I dare say we make this every couple months as it’s not only gloriously delicious to eat each time but also fun to create and piece together. It has a great blend of textures and flavors between the crunchy peppers, smoked sausage, spicy tomatoes, sweet roasted bells, and creamy pasta. Oh and while it cooks, those great baking aromas will permeate your house, so you won’t even miss the fact there’s no bread dough in this distinctive twist on pizza.
Pasta Pizza with Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Sauce
Adapted from Dierbergs and Family Circle (for the sauce)
10-oz thin spaghetti
1 sauce recipe (below)
1 egg, beaten
1/2 c. grated Parmesan cheese
1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
2 c. shredded mozzarella cheese
Roasted Red Pepper Tomato Sauce
2 TBSP olive oil
1 large onion, chopped
1 7-oz jar roasted red peppers, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes (highly recommend the Muir Glen crushed “Fire Roasted” tomatoes)
1 4-oz can mild green chilies (optional)
12 basil leaves, chopped
1/2 Polish sausage chopped
salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring water to a boil in large pot, add pasta and 2 tsp salt and cook, stirring often until al dente. Drain and rinse under cold water. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a medium-sized sauce pan, over medium heat. Add onion and cook 2-4 minutes, until softened. Stir in roasted red peppers, garlic, tomatoes, and chilies, cooking until bubbling vigorously, about 4-6 minutes. Lower heat and maintain at a simmer to allow sauce to thicken, about 10 minutes. Stir in chopped sausage and basil and cook for 1 minute. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease 12-inch pizza pan with cooking spray.
- Next, in a medium bowl, toss the pasta, egg and parmesan together and arrange on pizza pan.
- Using a slotted spoon, top the pasta layer with the sauce.
- Next, layer half of the cheese over the sauce and cover with sliced peppers (there may be some leftover). Top with remaining cheese.
- Transfer to oven and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, until pasta crust begins to lightly brown.